Thursday, May 31, 2007

Fergie - The Dutchess

Fergie is not a new name in the music arena but this lady who work with the Black Eyed Peas has stepped out into the limelight by herself in the solo album "The Dutchess".

This album was produced by fellow Pea and producer extraordinaire Will.I.Am that includes the hot list singles 'London Bridge', 'Fergalicious', 'Glamorous' plus 2 UK Bonus Tracks 'Get Your Hands Up', and 'Wake Up'.

The Dutchess kicks off with "Fergalicious," a self-congratulatory rap extravaganza borrowing a wicked groove from JJ Fad's seminal hit "Supersonic." Just as you finish chanting D to the E to the L-I-C-I-O-U-S with guest will.i.am, "Clumsy" rolls in mixing up the "Girl can't help it" chant from Little Richard's classic with a Casio keyboard line and Fergie's recitation of clumsiness in falling in love. Much of the album goes this way. Clever use of familiar samples and riffs from classics of pop music history, mash-ups across time periods and styles, all presided over by Fergie and her tough, independent, sometimes vulnerable, and often quite funny persona. Fergie is truly one of the few pop performers today who can pull off an ode to "Mary Jane Shoes" backed by Rita Marley and the I-Threes over the groove from Bob Marley's "No Woman, No Cry."

Here Fergie proves herself a skilled entertainer that can make you dance, laugh, nearly cry, and just have a really good time. This is one solo project well worth the effort.Well done to her..

No comments: